1.27.2014

Books i read my first semester in college



 Grow Up by Ben Brooks  A coming of age tale told in a way similar to the Catcher in the Rye if it was  set in the modern day.

This is not usually the type of book i read, and for those who are not aware, i am not the biggest fan of Holden Caulfield and his silly hat. I am however, an avid Skins viewer, and this paperback satisfied the rebellious teen within me.

I honestly do not think I will read it again any time soon. It was not my cup of tea and a lot of the British humor was lost on me.  However, if you are starting college or commencing a new period in your life (and are of legal age (( it is a bit raunchy)) ) i think you might enjoy it.


It is also the book that happens to have the best ending i've ever read in my entire life. Below is a picture of the last page and i absolutely adore it!


 Looking For Alaska by John Green  I refuse to say anything about this book that may give it away because it is my all time favorite. I enjoyed reading this book with new eyes, as it was my second time re-living the plot and characters, and it did not fail to inspire me. Within each page is poetry,darkness and discovery. It changed my life. I know that's a lot to say of a flimsy little book, but it's words spoke volumes to my soul. Thank you John Green.
Age warning : curse words, alcohol, cigarettes, and blow jobs.
If you were not phased my the above list, i think it is safe for your enjoyment.
 My favorite quote can be seen above. It reads : "You just use the future to escape the present"
 Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell A quick young adult read that will have you laughing out loud and wanting to fall in love. It's like watching a romantic comedy where everything is going so right...and then you realize there is still over an hour to finish the film. The ending was not very pleasing, something i very much disliked, but worth the read. It's the journey that matters, not the shitty destination. Plus, how cute is that cover?
Warning: The characters described in this book may look like people you know or have seen in your day to day. Please refrain from making them the character for you will irrationally hate them. Not like i did that or anything.....

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli A short and sweet read appropriate for all ages. It is not one with high diction or mind-numbing metaphors but the content is just outstanding. It helped me to feel okay with being myself and to stop worrying about others' perceptions of me. If you're struggling to find yourself, i think this will be a nice read.

Unfortunately, only four books in six months, but there is only so much down time one can have in college.  I have a ton more on a bookshelf and a list which continues to grow from day to day. I look forward to more posts like this, let me know if you found it helpful or have read any of the above books. Feel free to leave any book recommendations below as well.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to give Grow Up by Ben Brooks a try... I know you said it wasn't your favorite, but Catcher in the Rye is my favorite book, and I am looking for a good read. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for all your lovely comments. Happy Reading!

      Delete